A sweet tooth… or is it a sweet tongue?


The answer plus Quesadillas with Apple Salsa

It was there in my baby photos.

There it is again in photos of me in grade 5 and it’s still there in high school.

You all know what I’m taking about… I’m whispering… c  e  l  l  u  l  i  t  e… That’s right, I said it out loud!

O.K. I can deal with this. I run 7k – 4 times a week, take endless weight and circuit training classes… OMG it’s still there! I’m really starting to freak out. Time to consult an expert… Dr. Oz of course! Here’s what he says:

“What exactly is cellulite? Cellulite occurs when pockets of fat push up against connective tissue underneath the skin. Lack of exercise, diet and genetics all contribute to the formation of cellulite. This bane of many women’s existence is seen much less frequently in men. That’s because female skin tissue is thinner and less porous; therefore, when fat cells push up, they’re more noticeable. There is no known cure to completely banish cellulite.”

So, lets see; I exercise… check that one off.

How about diet? I eat well, but I admit there isn’t a cake, cookie, muffin or anything chocolate that I didn’t like. I have a big sweet tooth.

So I consulted Shari Darling, an expert on ‘tastes we crave’. She defines people as either ‘Super Tasters’ or ‘Non Tasters’, and it’s not a tooth at all, but your tongue!

So go to the mirror and look at your tongue… I’ll wait… Back? If you’re tongue has a few large bumps loosely arranged, you are a Non Taster. If it is covered with millions of tiny close together bumps you are a Super Taster – like me. So what? Well, Non Tasters (25% of us) love sour, savoury and spicy foods. Super Tasters (25% of us) process a highly sensitive palate. Every taste is ‘super-charged’, so sour and spicy are overwhelming. They prefer sweet and fatty tastes… that’s totally me! (… yes 50% are in the middle and are not effected either way).

Now I know why I like to add something sweet to almost everything: meat, vegetables, fish. No meal is ever complete without a little bit of ‘sweet’ to finish it off.

Here’s an great example, I love the addition of apple to these Quesadillas. Just the perfect touch of sweet to ‘tame’ the spice.

Quesadillas with Apple Salsa
5.0 from 1 reviews
Print
Ingredients
  • Salsa:
  • 1 apple, cored and cubed
  • juice from 1/2 fresh lime
  • 1/2 tsp TABASCO jalapeno sauce
  • 1/2 cup sweet red onion, minced
  • 3 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, minced
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup fresh fennel, diced
  • pinch of salt & black pepper
  • Quesadillas:
  • 2 cups baby arugula (or watercress)
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 whole wheat tortillas
  • 1 cup aged white cheddar cheese , shredded
  • 6 oz grilled steak (to preferred doneness), sliced into thin strips
  • 1 cup light sour cream (optional)
Instructions
  1. SALSA: In a mixing bowl, combine apples and lime juice. Add jalapeno sauce, onion, parsley, vinegar, fennel and salt and pepper, mix thoroughly. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes prior to use, to allow flavors to blend.
  2. QUESADILLAS: In a small bowl, mix arugula with oil and set aside. Use two tortillas for each quesadilla. Lightly brush the tortillas on one side with olive oil. Place four tortillas, oiled side down on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and lightly sprinkle each one with 2 tbsp of cheese. Add approximately 1/2 cup of arugula followed by 4 to 6 steak slices and 1 tbsp of apple salsa to each. Top each with up to 2 tbsp of cheese followed by a second tortilla, this time with the oiled side up.
  3. Place under the broiler, or on a grill at med-low heat, for just a few minutes or until the tortilla becomes golden brown (watch carefully, these can burn very easily if ignored). Wearing oven mitts, use a large spatula to flip the quesadillas under the broiler or on the grill and cook for another few minutes until golden brown.
  4. Transfer the cooked quesadillas to a cutting board and cut into quarters with a pizza slicer. Serve with additional salsa and light sour cream (optional). Makes 4 quesadillas.
  5. Thanks to www.onapples.com for this great recipe.

 

So what is my conclusion? It’s all genetic. Pass me a cupcake…

 

Print Friendly

written by

The author didn‘t add any Information to his profile yet.
Related Posts

2 Responses to "A sweet tooth… or is it a sweet tongue?"

  1. Kelly @ The Gouda Life says:

    Beautiful, beautiful photos, Lori! I am going to have to make this one night soon.

    Reply
  2. EatInEatOutMag says:

    It’s a good one! Great with chicken or turkey too.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Rate this recipe: