This week let’s welcome Jessie from Halifax Nova Scotia, a wonderful blogger and the story teller behind Purple House Cafe. We featured another one of her recipes in the Summer 2014 issue of EIEO, Watermelon, Feta and Mint Salad, that was a huge hit.
In this edition of Blogger Spotlight, Jessie shares her recipe for Cherry Mocha Overnight Oats. Take it away Jessie…
Though this is truly a year-long breakfast preference for me, overnight oats make a great way to start your morning in the summer. Eaten cold and with a more toothsome texture than the oatmeal so many of us choose for winter breakfasts, this little jar packs a punch of filling protein, tangy cherries, rich cocoa and lively espresso. What I love the most about these oats is that I can take them with me if I’m running short on time, or even snack on them throughout the morning to keep me full for longer.
|Cherry Mocha Overnight Oats|
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 heaping tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon each pepitas and hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground espresso
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- Enough almond milk to cover the oats; approximately 1-1/2 cups
- Place all the ingredients in a 2-cup Mason jar. Add enough almond (or other type) milk to just cover the ingredients, and shake to combine. Store in the refrigerator overnight before enjoying.
the pepitas, hemp seeds, and chia seeds are optional, and can be omitted or substituted for other seeds or nuts.