This week let’s welcome Sonia from the awesome blog The Healthy Foodie. Sonia is from Québec and her blog is a place where every day meals turn into a celebration of health! Don’t miss another recipe from Sonia – Refreshing Cucumber Soup – in our Summer 2013 issue.
Today she is sharing a recipe with a healthy favourite… kale. With all these tropical additions; strawberries, mangoes, pineapple and coconut, this salad makes a perfect dinner on a warm summer night… or bring to a family picnic at the beach!
|Kale Salad with a Tropical Twist|
- ½ ripe mango, diced
- 12 large strawberries, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut shavings
- 50g pecan, coarsely chopped
- 10-12 sweet basil leaves, shredded
- 4 cups fresh kale leaves, shredded
- The juice of 2 oranges
- The juice of 1 lime
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ cup fresh pineapple, chopped (or canned, unsweetened)
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- ½ tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- In a small food processor or blender, mix all the ingredients of the dressing and process until smooth and well combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients of the salad, pour in dressing and mix until all is very well incorporated.
- Divide between 2 serving plates and garnish with a fresh strawberry and a pinch of coconut shavings, if desired.
- Although it’s preferable to eat this salad right away, it will still keep somewhat well in the refrigerator until the next day.