How does starting your day with flaky pastry, exploding berries and the tang of lemony mascarpone cheese sound?
I’m hooked on these huge, plump and juicy blueberries. Did you know that British Columbia is the largest highbush blueberry growing region in the world, with Canada ranking third as a country. Highbush blueberries are also grown here in Ontario so let’s enjoy them while we can!
Aside from the fact that blueberries are much-talked-about superfoods, high in antioxidant cancer-fighting nutrients, they are a delicious low-calorie treat! I bought a ton of these babies over the summer so aside from my Rainbow Zucchini Noodle Salad with Blueberries, watch out for healthy Blueberry Steel Cut Oats Muffins (to come next week) and these totally simple and delicious Blueberry, Lemon & Thyme Cheese Danish.
I totally love a home-made danish that is ready in 30 minutes – don’t you? With a little help from store bought puff pastry, these Blueberry, Lemon & Thyme Cheese Danish can be on your breakfast table this morning too! I’m calling these a breakfast danish because who wouldn’t want to start their day with flaky pastry, exploding berries and the tang of mascarpone cheese and lemon – who? A mug of hot coffee in one hand and a fresh home-made danish in the other… am I not painting you guys a picture?
The flavour combination of blueberries and lemon is, well, perfect. I’ve added the tang of mascarpone cheese and the woodsy herbal hint of fresh thyme to start your summer morning off right. O.K. so maybe not a weekday morning, but slow down on the weekend and take just 30 minutes to pop these guys in the oven.
If you can’t find the time to make all those fresh blueberries into recipes right now, remember they freeze really well. When freezing – don’t wash blueberries before you freeze them. Place berries one layer deep on baking trays; freeze, then pack in plastic bags or containers. Thaw, rinse and drain frozen blueberries just before using.
Good summer morning!
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves, no stems
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the puff pastry into a 12 x 9” rectangle. Cut in half along the 12”, then cut the 2 4-4/12 x 12” strips into 3. This should leave you with 6 pieces that are 4 x 4-1/2”.
- With a knife score a ½” border around the edge of each pastry piece. Use a fork and prick 5-6 times within the centre area to prevent it from rising.
- In a bowl mix cheese, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, and vanilla until smooth. Spread ⅙th of mixture into centre area of each pastry square. Add ⅙th of blueberries on top. Pressing into cheese mixture lightly.
- In a small dish whisk egg and water. Using a pastry brush, brush the ½” border edging around each pastry square.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove to cooling rack.
- When danish are cooled, serve simply dusted with powdered sugar or drizzle with Lemon Glaze and serve.