A classic cookie gets a holiday twist with these Chewy Coconut Macaroons
Time to ease into the holiday baking with a simple cookie that everyone loves. Macaroons have been a family favourite, forever. Kids love their chewy, coconut goodness. Moms love how easy they are to make. Dressed up with the addition of dark chocolate drizzle, these Chewy Coconut Macaroons are ready for the holiday table.
These cookies are a coconut lovers dream. Chewy and moist on the inside, crispy and golden on the outside. Traditionally they are left plain, which is delicious, but they are even more delicious dipped or drizzled with dark chocolate. This base recipe can be really versatile… add some orange or lime zest for more of a tropical feel… add a toasted almond to the top for an Almond Joy copycat.
- 2-2/3 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt. Stir in egg whites and vanilla. Drop mixture by teaspoons on to baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until edges are golden. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, microwave chocolate chips and oil for 40 seconds on high. Stir to melt and combine until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cookies.