Looking for a new and healthy side dish for the holiday table? Try delicious Creamy Mashed Cauliflower!
I may be the only one in the world that really doesn’t like potatoes all that much. Are there others like me? Are some of you tired of the same old mash and looking for a new twist? Rejoice, here’s a great alternative! I love cauliflower – who knew you could do so much with one simple veg?
While cauliflower is low in fat and carbohydrates, it’s high in dietary fiber and vitamin C, making it a staple on dining room tables everywhere. It boasts high amounts of antioxidants such as carotenoids and manganese, B vitamins, protein, and minerals like calcium, potassium and iron. Shopping for cauliflower is like picking a bouquet of flowers: look for heavy, white or cream-colored heads that are uniform in color and avoid any signs of aging (like speckles, brown spots, wilted leaves).
You don’t have to add the cheese (but’s it’s really really good…), this recipe works just as well without it. Instead you can bump up the flavour by mixing in fresh chopped herbs like parsley, dill or cilantro.
- 1 cauliflower (about 4 cups of cut florets)
- ¼ cup herb cream cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsps butter
- pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Bring a large pot salted water to the boil. Add cauliflower and cook 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Drain. Add cream cheese, parmesan cheese, butter and nutmeg. Mash using a potato masher to desired smoothness. Season to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with additional parmesan and green onions.