Summer fun needs ice cream sandwiches!
Does anyone remember Chipwiches? I may be dating myself, but I totally loved those bad boys. They were made with vanilla ice cream, sandwiched between two chocolate chip cookies, and rolled in mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. OMG awesome idea… let’s steal it and make them at home!
Remember those Fully-Loaded Oatmeal Cookies I made for Father’s Day? Well, this recipe makes a big batch of yummy cookies. I froze half of them to keep them fresh, after all, who can eat 40 cookies in one week? That’s how I got this brilliant idea…
So crazy simple. Just make or defrost some Fully-Loaded Oatmeal Cookies. Then I allowed the vanilla ice cream to thaw just a bit on the counter, maybe 5 minutes. When a bit soft, sandwich a scoop between two cookies, then just roll it in semi-sweet mini chocolate chips. Place the assembled Fully-Loaded Oatmeal Chipwich in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
Totally simple. Simply delicious.
- 2-1/2 cups whole flake oatmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries or chopped tart cherries)
- vanilla ice cream
- mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix all ingredients (except chocolate and fruit) until well combined. Stir in chocolate and dried fruit of your choice.
- The mixture will be very crumbly and loose, DON’T WORRY.
- Using your hands, clump together a tablespoon of the mixture, squeezing it tightly, and placing on the baking sheet to form a mound. Press all the chocolate and fruit into the mound. I know, it will seem too crumbly, but trust me they come together in baking.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until set and golden. Repeat with remainder of mixture. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Allow vanilla ice cream to thaw just a bit on the counter, maybe 5 minutes. When slightly soft, sandwich a scoop between two cookies, then roll it in semi-sweet mini chocolate chips.
- Place the assembled Fully-Loaded Oatmeal Chipwich in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.