Our most requested cookie!
Don’t let the name fool you, these delicious shortbread morsels are real crowd pleasers! These come from baker Robyn Coffey of Toronto’s bakery/café: Robyn’s Cookies.
|Garbage Shortbread Cookies|
Recipe type: Cookie
- 1-1/2 cups butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 cups assorted stuff, roughly chopped into pieces about the size of a dime
- (we use 3 kinds per batch. In the photo we used: dark chocolate, dried cranberries and white/milk chocolate chips. In the past, we found Caramilk bars, dark
- chocolate and Smarties was a great combo. You could also try ‘sweet ‘n salty’ by adding potato chips, pretzels or peanuts to the chocolate pieces. Go crazy!)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, or electric beater, beat butter for 2 minutes on medium until light and fluffy.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add dry ingredients to the butter. Mix until well blended, scraping down side of bowl as needed for about 2-4 minutes.
- Add assorted stuff and blend well until pieces are evenly distributed. Refrigerate dough for one hour.
- Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and place 2” apart on the parchment-lined cookie sheet. Lightly press down on balls with the back of a spoon. Bake for 16-18 minutes. Cookies should be lightly golden on the bottom and edges. Let sit for a few minutes and then transfer to cooling rack until completely cooled. To serve, serve plain or sprinkle with icing sugar. Makes 36 cookies.