I’ve been really busy this week putting together the Holiday 2012 issue of EIEO. The theme is ‘entertaining’ so there are 4 great party themes, results from our cookie contest and lots more. This 1st anniversary issue looks like it will be well over 130 pages… who would have though that just 12 months ago we would grow to be so huge!
When I’m busy at my desk for so many hours, I’m sorry to say the the meal-planning does suffer. This week I roasted a chicken on Saturday, which meant I had leftovers… yah! That’s when my ‘half-homemade’ skills really kick in. With the help of Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust, and a few common ingredients it’s a snap. Just add a salad and a great meal is born!
|Chicken, Kale and Cheddar Quiche|
- 1 packaged pie crust (or make from scratch)
- 1-1/2 cup cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup carrots, blanched, slivered
- 1/2 cup Cookin’ Greens chopped kale, use frozen
- 1 cup Extra Old Cheddar Cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup 10% cream
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Pre-bake shell for 8 minutes on a 400ºF oven. Prick bottom with fork is it starts to puff. Remove.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, milk, Dijon and spices. Set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken in the bottom of the pie shell. Sprinkle onion over top, then kale, then carrots then cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over top until just full. Bake for 40-45 minutes until set.