This is a great make-ahead dish for those nights when you need to rush out to ballet or soccer practice. The flavors just keep getting better!
Don’t miss the other delicious turkey and mushroom recipes from around the world, in the Spring 2013 issue. Just Click to read now!
|Indian Turkey with Chickpeas and Spinach|
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 boneless turkey thighs
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (any type)
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger, grated thinly
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 4 tsp curry
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 425 g can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2-3 cups poultry broth
- 8 cups baby spinach, packed
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Slice each turkey thigh into several pieces. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season turkey and brown 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
- Add butter, onions and mushrooms, season with salt. Cook, stirring until onions are golden and soft, about
- Stir in garlic, ginger, coriander, curry and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add chickpeas and 2 cups broth. Add turkey and enough extra broth to cover. Cover pot, transfer to oven. Braise for 55 minutes until fork-tender.
- Remove turkey to platter and shred with two forks. Keep warm. Add spinach to hot pot, cover, allow to wilt for 5-7 minutes.Stir in yogurt, Season to taste. Return turkey. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve in a bowl or over rice.