Made with fresh local produce, this Lemon-Blueberry Loaf is perfect for the season!
Blueberries are in! Local blueberries are starting to appear in farmers markets and grocery stores across Canada. Time to stock up! Blueberries freeze really well, making them so easy to add to loafs or muffins for a little bit of summer in the middle of January.
The best way to freeze blueberries: Do NOT WASH. Lay them out on a parchment lined baking sheet with berries separated from each other. Place in freezer for 2-4 hours. Take berries out and transfer to a zipper freezer bag (they should be frozen and separated). Push out as much air from the bag as possible before sealing and return to freezer. Will keep well for 6 months. TIP: To fully take out all the air – use a drinking straw and insert into the bag making sure the seal is fairly tight around the straw. Suck out ALL the air. Remove straw and quickly seal bag. Wash and dry the berries well when you thaw them to use, not washing before freezing helps to preserve the original texture of the fruit.
O.K. so you went to the market and home you came with tons and tons of blueberries… what to make? Fresh or previously frozen berries combine perfectly with the fresh zip of lemon in this moist and tender loaf. You can glaze it with tons of lemon icing… optional… you know which way I went! Yum!!
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup plain or vanilla Greek-style yogurt
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar for about 4 minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition to fully incorporate.
- On low, alternate adding dry ingredients and Greek yogurt mixing until just incorporated. Add lemon juice, zest and vanilla until just mixed in.
- Add blueberries gently by hand mixing. Pour batter in prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes until brown and a toothpick comes out clean in the center. Cool.
- When fully cooled, drizzle with lemon glaze (3/4 cup confectioners sugar with 2-4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice) if desired.