This recipe is from our friends at the Ontario Apple Growers. Filled with mood enhancing ingredients like Ontario apples, eggs, granola, cinnamon and walnuts, these portable cups give your brain the wake-up call it needs at this a lazy afternoon brunch. See lots of other brunch suggestions in the latest issue of EIEO Spring magazine.
|Baked Ontario Apple Frittata Cups|
- 1 tbsp butter (to grease muffin pan)
- 24 small Wonton wrappers*
- 4 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 medium Ontario apple**, cored and diced
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whole grain granola (blend of whole grain oats & wheat flakes)
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces (substitution – slivered almonds)
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Lightly grease muffin pan with butter. Insert 2 wonton wrappers into each muffin cup, overlapping them to form a small “flower” shaped cup. Bake for only 3 to 4 minutes or until edges are lightly golden, remove from oven and cool in the pan.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and add pinch of salt. In a separate bowl, mix diced apple and cinnamon. Begin assembly of cups by adding 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the apple mixture to each wonton cup. Follow with 2 tsp (10 mL) of the beaten egg, ensuring it does not flow over the sides of the wonton cups. Top each cup with 2 tsp (10 mL) of granola, followed by 1 tsp (5 mL) each of walnuts and raisins (optional).
- Return pan to oven and bake for 10 minutes or until filling is firm to the touch. Cool for a few minutes before removing from pan.
- Makes 12 cups.
- *Sold in a 400 g package (~50 wrappers), unused wrappers may be frozen and thawed in the refrigerator prior to use.
- **Variety Tip: for best results, use Ontario Empire, Gala, Ida Red, Crispin or Cortland apples.
Want more great recipes from Ontario Apple Growers… just click!