Holiday Entertaining – Chicken with wine? It’s a party!
Here’s a teaser… to see this the entire feature in our current issue – read more…
Indian Seasoned Roast Chicken with Lentil Brown Rice Pilaf
2 1/2 lb whole chicken
2 tsp lemon peel
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp ginger, freshly grated
1/2 tsp EACH ground turmeric, red pepper flakes
1/4 cup cilantro, sprigs
Lentil Brown Rice Pilaf
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place chicken in large bowl. Mix fresh lemon peel, lemon juice, grated ginger, turmeric and chili pepper flakes for marinade and pour over chicken. Use a spoon or hands to coat all sides of chicken. Add some of the marinade to the cavity. Marinate in refrigerator for at least an hour or preferably overnight.
2. Roast chicken in oven for approximately 75 minutes or until cooked through and internal temperature reaches 185°F (85°C).
3. Bring lentils and 5 cups cold water to a boil in large pot or Dutch oven. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until lentils are firm but tender.
4. Heat oil over medium high heat in non-stick skillet. Sauté onion with garlic and ginger for five minutes, or until just golden. Add carrots and rice, and cook 3 minutes, or until rice is toasted and fragrant, stirring constantly. Add cumin, garam masala, and coriander and cook another minute. Add enough water to cook rice according to package directions. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook about 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
5. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup cilantro.
6. Stir in cooked lentils when rice is finished cooking. Keep warm.
7. To serve place roasted chicken in centre of platter and place rice pilaf around chicken. Garnish with sprigs of fresh cilantro (optional garnish). Carve chicken at the table. Serves 6.