Turkey Meatball Stroganoff (IKEA copycat) you can make at home!
Need a quick meal that the kids are in a rush to get to football or judo? You can’t loose by combining two things that they love – meatballs and noodles. These aren’t just any kind of frozen meatball from the store, these home-made gems are super-moist and tender. They will never guess you slipped in a fall apple to add extra flavour and nutrition. Serve with a quick salad and both the kids and the parents will be happy.
Not worried about making a meal for kids, this Turkey Meatball Stroganoff also makes a simple dish to serve to company. I looks really fancy, your guess will never know you made the meatballs ahead so the meal came together in just 20 minutes!
This recipe first appeared in the Fall 2014 issue of EatInEatOut™ magazine. The best part about it, as you will see from that story, is that you can make a double batch of meatballs well ahead. They freeze well, so when you need a meal fast, pull a few out of the freezer, defrost in microwave for a few minutes and you’re ready to make soup, chilli, sandwiches or a quick stroganoff.
I’m trying to use more mushrooms, I always forget about the earthy, rich and delicious flavour they add to any dish. The bonus is that both apples and mushrooms are in-season locally for me here in Ontario… let’s enjoy them!
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ EACH cinnamon, salt and pepper
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 150g egg noodles
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced (cremini, button, white any type you like)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- ⅓ cup sour cream or Greek low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and onion and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add apple, garlic, cinnamon, salt and pepper and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Take off heat and add mix in breadcrumbs. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg and breadcrumb mixture. Form into 36 (1 inch) meatballs. Place on parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes in preheated oven, turning once.
- You can proceed with stroganoff, or place meatballs in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also lay out on a cookie sheet and freeze individually. When frozen place in a freezer bag and keep sealed for 3-4 months.
- Prepare noodles as per package directions.
- While noodles are cooking, in a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and sauté mushrooms and garlic for about 6 minutes until just turning a bit brown. Add ¼ cup of beef broth and bring to a simmer. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and toss, stirring for 1 minute. Add remaining beef broth, bring up to boil. Reduce heat and rapid-simmer for about 3-4 minutes until just starting to thicken. Stir in sour cream, Dijon, nutmeg and parsley.
- Add meatballs, toss to coat. Simmer for 2-3 minutes to warm through. Add noodles and toss to coat. Serve with additional sprinkle of fresh parsley (optional).