Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup
When it’s damp and chilly, I feel like a bowl of warm healthy soup! This does the job, woodsy flavour of mushrooms with the nutty taste of wild rice… yum.
|Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup|
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup baby cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3-1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup half & half cream
- Place wild rice, salt and cold water and bring to boil. Reduce and simmer for 50 minutes until soft. Drain.
- Melt 2 Tbsps of butter in a large pot and sauté mushrooms until soft and golden. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside.
- Add shallots, celery and garlic, cook until soft.
- Add sherry to deglaze the pan. Add flour and stir to cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock, whisking to prevent lumps. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add thyme, nutmeg, reserved mushrooms, wild rice and cream. Season to taste. Heat through and serve.