Just in time for Valentine’s Day, a spectacular Easy Black Forest Cake that has it all.
Moist chocolate cake, tart cherries, whipped cream and shavings of dark chocolate – can it get any better?
- 1-2/3 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/4 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2-1/4 tsp vanilla
- 5 egg whites (10 Tbsp liquid egg whites)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray two 8" round cake pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, sod and salt. Make a well in the centre and add milk, oil, yogurt and vanilla. Stir until just combined.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold ¼ of egg whites to the chocolate mixture, then gently add remainder. Do not overmix. Divide evenly into pans. Bake 35-40 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool on wire racks.
- ASSEMBLY: Filling: mix cherry pie filling with kirsch; set aside. Frosting: Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla and beat one last minute. Remove ¾ cup and set aside. Whip cocoa into remaining cream. Topping: Shave chocolate; set aside.
- Slice each cake layer in half. Place the first layer on a plate and spread ½ of the cherry mixture on top. Add a cake layer, spread the vanilla whipped cream over this layer. Top with another cake layer, cherry mixture and final cake layer. Frost with chocolate whipped cream and top with chocolate shavings.
2 x 540mL cans cherry pie filling
4 tsp kirsch or cherry brandy
2-1/2 cups whipping cream
1 Tbsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
2 squares semisweet chocolate
Did you know canola oil was created in Canada? This healthy oil is low in saturated fat, high in monounsaturated and omega-3 fatty acids. We’re proud to be using canola in all of our cake recipes this year. Looking for more canola oil recipes? Visit www.CanolaEatWell.com