This 3-Cheese Lasagna Soup is a great way to warm up those trick or treaters!
Good news friends! We’re looking at another delicious, good-for-you fall soup today. Did you catch the Slow Cooker French Canadian Onion Soup last week? Today on the menu is my new favourite, 3-Cheese Lasagna Soup. What could be better than all the great Italian flavours of baked lasagna, in a hearty bowl of soup? Even better, it’s ready in a little more than 30 minutes! What a great way to welcome home those cold and hungry candy monsters!
To me, Halloween means fall is coming to an end and it’s time to start thinking about holiday entertaining and baking Christmas cookies. What about you guys, are you still into fall recipes? Believe it or not, I have already started into the Holiday issue of EatInEatOut™ magazine that will be coming to you on November 21st. It’s our 5th Anniversary Issue, surely an issue to remember!
For now, let’s hold on to the last bits of pumpkin spice, fall skies and crispy leaves by warming up with a big bowl of this tomato-based, cheesiness…
With the goodness of meat and veggies, this is one nutritious meal. The big noodles and tons of gooey cheese make it lots of fun for the kids (and the kid in all of us!).
I like my soups quite thick, and this one is hearty. If you like yours thinner, just add more water or broth to get to the consistency you enjoy.
I love crusty bread with my soup and it’s a total must for this meal. Let’s get dipping!
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey, beef, pork or Italian sausage
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 8 oz. (1/2- 500g package) lasagna noodles (NOT NO BOIL), broken into 2-inch pieces
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ⅔ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Add oil to a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté for 7-10 minutes until softened. Add ground meat and continue to cook, breaking it up with spoon, until the meat is cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; cook one minute.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, stock, noodles, basil and sugar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, for 12 minutes.
- Stir in spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The soup will be thick, if you prefer a thinner soup, add more water.
- To serve, fill bowl halfway with soup, sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons mozzarella and then continue to fill bowl with soup. Top with spoonful of ricotta and sprinkle of parmesan.