I have recently re-discovered the awesome yumminess of Nutella… now I can’t get enough! So when planning April’s cake, it made total sense to build a recipe around it.
I thought I would build on the creamy-nuttyiness of the Nutella by adding more milk chocolate. Who knew it would be so hard to find a good recipe for MILK chocolate cake. Why is that? Oh well, time to develop one of our own using the goodness of Canola oil.
Did you know you can also make a great Chocolate Hazelnut Spread from scratch if you don’t want to use Nutella? It’s easy – Combine the following until smooth: 125 g soft cream cheese, 1-1/2 tsp milk, 1/4 cup confectioners sugar, 1/4 cup melted chocolate chips, 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts, 1/2 tsp vanilla. Enjoy!
Experimenting took me through 3 versions of this cake, but this one is the winner! It’s a little bit of work, but so worth it. A wonderful addition to the Easter buffet table.
NOTE: Don’t overcook the layers. Also if the edges of the layers are a bit “crispy” (mine were), trim them off before cutting and assembly. Then they will look ‘pretty’ like the photo.
|Milk Chocolate Nutella Torte|
- 7 Tbsp canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup instant milk chocolate hot cocoa mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare two 8″ pans with butter and flour.
- Add oil, sugar and eggs to bowl of mixer. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add melted chocolate chips, Nutella, flour, salt, baking soda, vanilla, hot cocoa mix and 1/2 cup buttermilk . Beat on medium for 1 minute. Scrape down bowl. Add remaining buttermilk and beat for 30 seconds.
- Pour batter into pans and bake for 22-35 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs.
- Rest for 10 minutes and then turn out onto wire rack to cook completely.
- Make Milk Chocolate Mousse.
- To Assemble: cut cake layers in half horizontally to make 4 layers. Place one on a serving platter. Spread with 1/4 of Milk Chocolate Mousse. Repeat 3 times to finish with mousse at top of cake.
- Make Glaze. Drizzle Glaze over cake. Top with milk chocolate curls.
MILK CHOCOLATE MOUSSE: Beat 3 cups whipping cream until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, beat 3/4 cup softened cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add 1/2 cup Nutella, 1/2 tsp vanilla. Beat until smooth. Fold into whipped cream. Store in refrigerator until ready to assemble.
GLAZE: Heat 1/2 cup whipping cream in a saucepan on low. Add 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips and 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips, stirring constantly until melted and smooth. Cool 2 minutes.
Did you know canola oil was created in Canada? This healthy oil is low in saturated fat, high in monounsaturated and omega-3 fatty acids.
We’re proud to be using canola in all of our cake recipes this year.
Looking for more canola oil recipes? Visit www.CanolaEatWell.com