This fruit and nut bread is a delicious addition to the Easter brunch table.
OMG you guys… this bread…
It’s almost time when we gather for Easter brunch. When I plan a buffet table, I start off by first making a few loaves of this delicious bread. Another wonderful recipe from my Mom, this Spiced Walnut and Date Bread is moist, nutty, fruity and delicious. Not too sweet, it’s a true non-yeast style bread.
I love this Spiced Walnut and Date Bread when it is toasted or plain, with a bit of butter and preserves… yum. I also love this bread as the base for over-the-top sandwiches, trust me, memorable post coming next month. Need another suggestion? How about adding this bread to an after-dinner cheese plate, a great way to end a great meal.
This bread has a fool proof base that you can change up by adding any combination of nuts and dried fruits that you like. I’ve used apricot and pistachios, raisins and almonds and pecans and dried cherries. They all work well, but my favourite is the original combination of walnuts and dates.
- 3 Tbsp butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup water
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4-6 tsp evaporated milk (can substitute regular milk or water)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a standard loaf pan.
- Beat butter, sugar and egg on a large bowl until fluffy. Add evaporated milk and water.
- Reserve ¼ cup of all-purpose flour. In a bowl sift together remaining all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cardamom and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, toss walnuts and dates with the reserved ¼ cup flour, set aside.
- Add flour mixture to beaten egg mixture and stir until just blended. Add date and nut mixture and stir until just blended.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes.
Based on 12 slices that are REALLY BIG: