The addition of quinoa makes this Shrimp Mac & Cheese oh so haute-comfort!
We started with one of your favourite comfort foods – the oh-so-gooey Mac & Cheese. Wonderful just as is with simple cheddar cheese sauce, but we wanted to take it to new culinary glory… add something new. Here’s what we came up… hope you love it as much as we did!
First, the pasta, why not try something different? We used Quinoa Macaroni – OMG so awesome! Gluten-free, vegan and such a great taste!
Then, we need an add-in. Everyone adds tuna, or spinach… I know… shrimp!
Lastly the cheese sauce – how about 3 cheeses? I don’t know about you but I like my mac & cheese really ‘gooey’, that means a thick sauce. If you like it more ‘creamy’ be sure to add more milk to the sauce recipe below.
3 Cheese Shrimp Quinoa Mac & CheeseEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1-1/2 cups quinoa macaroni, dry
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 40 shrimp, raw 71-90 count, peeled and tail removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated
- 1/2 cup Gruyere, grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta to al dente. Drain, rinse under cold water and return to pot.
- Heat 2 Tbsp butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add shrimp and garlic and cook, stirring, 4-5 minutes until no longer pink. Season to taste. Add to pasta pot.
- Heat the remaining butter in a saucepan over med-high heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk, bring to boil while stirring. Reduce heat to low, add nutmeg and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the cheeses in 3-4 additions, stirring well after each. Season to taste. NOTE: if you like your sauce thinner, add more milk to reach desired consistency.
- Pour over pasta and stir well. Transfer to the baking dish and sprinkle with panko. Bake for 25 minutes. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply