This cake is as pretty as it is tasty, and is perfect with a cup of coffee or tea, or as a mid-afternoon snack. For an extra pop of colour, use different types of apples, and if you prefer a more delicate flavour, omit the cinnamon.
When you line the 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment, make sure to leave extra in order to lift it out of the pan when cooled.
This is the perfect autumn cake, use up all those extra in-season apples! Make it in the afternoon, the house will smell amazing when everyone gets home!
Apple Streusel Cake
This cake is as pretty as it is tasty, and is perfect with a cup of coffee or tea, or as a mid-afternoon snack. For an extra pop of colour, use different types of apples, and if you prefer a more delicate flavour, omit the cinnamon.EMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsps granulated sugar
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 apples, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 20cm (8-inch) square baking dish with parchment (leaving a slight overhang); set aside. 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt for the streusel; mix in the melted butter until the mixture is crumbly and then refrigerate until ready to use. 3. In another medium bowl, mix apples, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and salt for the apple topping, and set aside. 4. Make the cake: whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; set aside. In a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix on low just until combined. Stir in the milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and mix until smooth. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, and spread with a rubber spatula until it’s evenly distributed. Top with the sliced apples, as desired, and then sprinkle the streusel over top of them. 5. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes in the baking dish, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Leave a Reply