Here’s a creamy protein rich shake that you’re going to love!
A shake for breakfast? Not for me, I’m a muffin girl all the way.
This Double Almond Breakfast Smoothie needs just 5 simple ingredients you already have on hand in your pantry… whaaaat? Count me in!
What is GERD you ask? Well a short answer is really bad acid reflux. The stomach is over-producing acid and a loosened esophagus is allowing that excess to come up into the throat. It feels like you have something stuck in your throat so you have a dry cough and a hoarseness that is pretty nasty. Partner that with burning and upset stomach and I’m not a happy camper… especially because as a food blogger I’m tasting food constantly.
Over the last 2 months I’ve been suffering with a big-time attack that called for a change in my diet to cool things down. The first step was eliminating the common foods that trigger GERD:
- alcohol, including wine
- citrus fruits and juices
- coffee and tea
- tomatoes and tomato sauce
- fatty foods, high-fat cheeses and sauces
- spicy foods
O.K. so the list turns out to be all of my most favourite things… crying a little bit now.
Here’s what I have on the GERD-friendly list:
- almonds and almond milk
- chicken and turkey
- most vegetables and leafy greens
- melons – cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon
O.K. hopefully this is not forever, (inside voice talking…), pull up your socks and turn what looks like a seriously bland diet into something yummy! Let’s start with breakfast!
With protein punch and delicious flavour, I think I’m a smoothie for breakfast girl convert. Enjoy!
- ½ frozen banana (I cut ripe bananas into chunks and pop them in the freezer to keep on hand)
- ½ ripe banana (OR you can just do a whole frozen one if you like)
- 1 Tbsp almond butter
- 4-6 ice cubes
- 1 tsp honey (optional if banana is really ripe)
- 2 cups almond milk (I use Almond Fresh unsweetened)
- Puree all ingredients in a blender on high speed for 1 minute. Serve immediately.