Apple season is finally here, so why not bake this easy peasy strudel?
Have you been out picking apples yet? Bundle up and head out to your local apple farm, it’s so much fun! The kids will have a blast running around outside and you’ll come home with a huge basket of fresh fruit that’s just asking to be made into something delicious.
How can you improve on the perfect combination of apples, maple and pecans? Simple, bake it into a pie or wrap it in puff pastry and make a strudel! Last year I came up with Apple Cake with Maple Buttercream and Pecan Trim, so delicious. This year, give this simple Easy Maple Pecan Apple Strudel a try, you’re going to love it!
You’re probably thinking that making strudel will be really hard, many steps, super complicated. Not true, this Easy Maple Pecan Apple Strudel could not be easier: 20 minutes prep and 30 minutes baking… done! Using frozen puff pastry is the secret, just thaw and you’re ready to bake… so simple.
Easy Maple Pecan Apple StrudelEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 3 tart apples like MacIntosh or Granny Smith, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup dried bread crumbs
- ½ + ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp coarse sugar
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
Maple Cream Glaze
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp milk – or more if need to reach pourable consistency
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, coat apple slices with lemon juice. In a small bowl mix in sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and bread crumbs. Add to apples and gently stir to coat.
- Sprinkle a bit of flour on a large cutting board. Spread one sheet of puff pastry and roll out to about 12” x 12” square.
- Layer the apple mixture on one half of the puff pastry. Sprinkle with ½ cup of pecans. Gently fold the other half of the pastry over apples folding under edges all around to form a sealed rectangle. Cut 3-4 slits in the top of pastry to allow steam to escape during cooking.
- Remove strudel from cutting board to the prepared baking pan. Brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle coarse sugar over top. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- When ready to serve, mix all ingredients of Maple Cream Glaze in a small bowl. Drizzle over top of strudel along with remaining ¼ cup of pecans. Slice into 2 large or 4 small sections, serve warm or cold.