Make this take-out favorite at home – fast and easy!
Back home from The Food Bloggers of Canada‘s first ‘annual’ conference. We were proud to be a sponsor, and all I can say is “Wow, it was a spectacular event!” Yummy food, informative sessions, great company and tons of swag! What more could a foodie need? Congrats to Ethan, Mardi and Melissa of FBC – already looking forward to next year.
The event was held at the Hockley Valley Resort north of Toronto. The last two years has seen temperatures of 70 degrees + on April 13, so what happened? Ice, rain, even snow! Not that that mattered as we were snug inside the wonderful resort.
When I got home however, I had a craving for some light comfort food. Something quick, nutritious and most of all, warm. This Hot & Sour Soup that I first made for our Spring Issue, fit the bill perfectly. Made with simple ingredients everyone has in the pantry, it’s a perfect welcome home!
Hot & Sour Soup
- 8 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
- 1 fresh green chilli, minced (or 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes)
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 pkg, 1/2 lb rice noodles
- 10 whole cremini or shiitake
- mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 cup Egg Creations Original, well shaken
- 3 cups Cookin’ Greens® frozen spinach or fresh baby spinach
- Heat broth in a large pot over medium-high heat until it starts to simmer. Add garlic, ginger, scallions, soy sauce, chilli, vinegar and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, to rapid simmer. Add rice noodles and mushrooms. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Slide Egg Creations into the hot broth mixture. TIP: if you want the egg to be finely shredded, stir rapidly. If you prefer larger chunks only stir once or twice clockwise. Let gently simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Cookin' Greens® and cook through. If using french baby spinach, add then cover and allow to wilt.