Weeknight rescue: Pretzel & Dijon Coated Fish Sticks are ready in 30 minutes!
Kids love fish sticks, right? Kids love pretzels, right? Combine these two great loves in one simple, really fast weeknight meal that the kids will double love! Mom will love that these healthy fish sticks are homemade, baked not fried, and made with just 3 simple ingredients.
Pretzel & Dijon Coated Fish Sticks are so easy… just 4 quick steps… to the table in 30 minutes or less! The key to a crispy topping is the pan prep. Line a baking pan in foil and then place a baking rack on top. Rising the fish off the pan allows hot air to flow all around the fish stick letting it stay crispy, not soggy.
I may have mentioned that kids love these. Just between you and me, adults do too! Served with simple tartar sauce for dipping, a salad or veggies on the side, and you have a light healthy meal that the whole family will enjoy!
- 4 cod fillets, fresh or defrosted
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups pretzels, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Trim cod fillets into even square shapes, removing thin bits at the ends of the fillets.
- Prepare baking sheet by lining with foil and placing a cooling rack on top to create a baking rack.
- Crush pretzels in a plastic bag by gently rolling with a rolling pin. This can also be done in a food processor (but who wants to clean that?). Pour crumbs into a small bowl, plate or onto wax paper on the countertop.
- Coat fish by covering one side with ½ tsp Dijon, then dipping that side into the pretzel crumbs. Cover the clean side of the fish with ½ tsp Dijon and flip over into the crumbs. Press firmly to create a thick crust. Transfer to the backing rack. Continue with remaining fish pieces.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until fish is cooked through and flaky. Serve with fries and your favourite dipping sauces.