Not Your Mom’s Meat Loaf
This Italian-style meat loaf is a colourful spiral of peppers, prosciutto, provolone and pine nuts – it tastes as sensational as it looks. Leftovers make terrific sandwiches tucked in panini or other crusty Italian rolls. An added bonus – any leftovers freeze well too.
Rouladen-Style Italian Meat LoafEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts, optional
- ½ cup EACH: chopped onion, diced sweet green and red pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms, about 4 oz/125 g
- Pinch EACH: dried basil, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ lb Lean Ground Beef
- ½ cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp EACH: minced garlic, dried basil, and salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 10 thin slices prosciutto
- 1 ½ cups shredded provolone or Mozzarella cheese
FILLING: In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook pine nuts (if using), stirring occasionally, until nicely browned. Using slotted spoon, remove from pan; set aside. In same skillet, cook onion, sweet peppers, mushrooms, basil, salt, pepper and cayenne, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until liquid from mushrooms evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in pine nuts. Cover and let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, basil, salt and pepper; mix well. Place meat mixture onto sheet of plastic wrap and spread into a 14 x 10 inch rectangle. Arrange prosciutto over meat leaving 1-inch border. Top with cheese and prepared filling. Using plastic wrap to help, roll up meat from short end. Pinch edges and ends to seal in Filling.
- Bake on a greased foil-lined rimmed baking tray or line 9 x 5 inch (2 L) loaf pan with foil; grease. Place Beef Roll into pan, seam side down. Insert meat thermometer into centre of roll, avoiding bottom of pan. Bake in 350°F oven for 1 to 1 ¼ hours, until thermometer reads 160°F (71°C). Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Use foil to help remove from pan; cut into 1-inch slices to serve.