Mmmmm smell the roast beef!
This is a wonderful recipe from our friends at Canada Beef. When you’re rushing from work to a hockey practice, why not come home to the smell of dinner ready to be served. Dig out that slow cooker the night before, pop in the roast in the morning and dinner can cook while you’re away. Come home and smell the reward..
Slow Cooker Mushroom Pot RoastEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 4 lb 2 kg Beef Pot Roast (e.g. Cross Rib, Blade or Brisket)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp 30 mL vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cooking onion, cut into wedges lengthwise
- 1/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 can condensed mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup dried mushrooms, soaked (strain and reserve soaking liquid)
- 1 cup quartered button mushrooms
- Pat roast dry; season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add roast; brown well on all sides, 10 to
- minutes. Remove roast from pan.
- Add garlic and onion to pan. Reduce heat to medium; cook until lightly browned, about
- to 4 minutes (NOTE: add splash of water to prevent scorching if needed). Stir in wine,
- scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Stir in soup, soaked dried mushrooms and reserved soaking liquid.
- Transfer roast and any liquid from pan into a slow cooker insert. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove roast to cutting board; keep warm. Add button mushrooms to sauce; cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes or until tender. Carve roast and serve with sauce.