With a few helpful shortcuts, this Slow Cooker S’more Cake almost brings summer back.
A new year begins with a new crop of Sweet of the Month recipes. Usually when I make a cake to share with you guys, it’s made from scratch. This time I’m taking a shortcut by using a cake mix, and the slow cooker to create a delicious and super-easy dessert that reminds you of warm summer nights around the camp fire.
So this Slow Cooker S’more Cake pushes all the right buttons:
– it’s chocolate
– it’s cake
– it’s got marshmallows
– it’s warm, gooey, sticky and just plain delicious!
This is my first dessert made in the slow cooker so I started with an easy one. I like the idea of putting the dessert on to cook 3-4 hours before I need to serve it, but make sure you don’t over cook it. I found out the hard way with my first attempt… totally dry and hard around the edges. You need to keep an eye on it, if it’s set and baked at the outside edge, but still gooey in the middle… you’re done. The gooey stuff is what makes the sauce – like a pudding cake. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker S'more CakeEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 1 two-layer devils food cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups mini-marshmallows
- 1 7 oz jar marshmallow creme
- 1 cup dark or milk chocolate chips
- 10 graham cracker squares, broken into 1-inch pieces
- Lightly spray the inside of a 6-quart oval slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, sour cream and water. Add cake mix, flour and sugar until just combined. Stir in mini-marshmallows.
- Pour into prepared slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Cake should be wet in the centre, DO NOT OVER COOK.
- Drop spoonfuls of marshmallow creme evenly over the surface of the cake – it will spread as it stands. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Remove the crockery liner to the countertop. Cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Remove lid and sprinkle with broken graham pieces. Serve alone or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.