Bring a bit of summer camping to the holidays with Easy S’mores Shortbread Cookies
How is the holiday baking going? Too busy shopping and wrapping and shopping some more to think about baking cookies? Well if you have time for only one this year, try these S’mores Shortbread Cookies. What could be better than the combination of graham cracker, dark and milk chocolate along with soft gooey marshmallows?
My favourite cookies are shortbread. I guess I fall in the crispy cookie camp. This genius recipe can really be the base for almost anything – you can add 2 cups of any combination: raisins, pretzels, crushed candy canes, sunflower seeds… the list is endless. Just make sure the pieces you choose are all the same approximate size and you’re go-to-go!
To make this s’mores combo, I added milk chocolate chunks to the dough. Try to use a great quality chocolate like Lindt, and chop it up into small pieces. The added dark chocolate drizzle (or more like messy slashes… sorry…), add an amazing finish of yumminess. Enjoy!
S'mores Shortbread CookiesEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 1-1/2 cups butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups assorted stuff, I used 3/4 cup chopped graham cracker + 3/4 cup chopped milk chocolate
- 3/4 cup mini-marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, or electric beater, beat butter for 2 minutes on medium until light and fluffy.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add dry ingredients to the butter. Mix until well blended, scraping down side of bowl as needed for about 2-4 minutes.
- Stir in assorted stuff until pieces are evenly distributed. Refrigerate dough for one hour.
- Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and place 2” apart on the parchment-lined cookie sheet. Lightly press down on balls with the back of a spoon. Bake for 16-18 minutes. Cookies should be lightly golden on the bottom and edges.
- Remove from oven and place 3-4 mini marshmallows on top of each cookie. Let sit for a few minutes and then transfer to cooling rack until completely cooled.
- In a small bowl add 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1 Tbsp shortening. Microwave on 20 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted and smooth enough to drizzle. Add more shortening if needed for the right consistency (Note: margarine will work too). Drizzle chocolate over each cooled cookie and allow to set.