Sweet, yet tart this is the perfect pie to remember summer
Even though I love cake… sometime you just feel like a pie! I love the sweet, yet tart combo of the fresh strawberries and rhubarb in this Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. You planned ahead in the summer and froze the rhubarb and strawberries when they were local and fresh… right? You can use your favourite pie crust recipe, but the filling will be the real ‘star’!
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- dash of salt
- Prepare your favourite double pie crust. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Toss fruit with sugar, cornstarch, spices and salt to coat. Fill pie shell then cover with over with top crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes in centre of middle rack on a baking sheet . After 20 minutes turn down the oven to 325ºF and continue to bake 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.