Time for Weeknight Exotic, Indian food that’s vegetarian, easy and flavour-filled
Indian food is filled with the rich, savoury and healthy spices that we need to add to our everyday meals. However, during the week when we’re tired and rushed, it’s can be hard to find the inspiration. Even though our pantries are crammed full, our minds still come up a blank. Not to worry, here’s a fast and flavourful idea for Simple Vegetable Biryani that will help you whisk a few panty items into a delicious Indian weeknight meal.
Here in Toronto, an incredible variety of summer fruits and vegetables are pouring into the local farmer’s markets. What an awesome time of year to spice up weeknight meals with a few vegetarian recipes. I’ve made this Simple Vegetable Biryani with cauliflower, carrots and spinach, but feel free to mix it up. If you have fresh broccoli or green beans in the fridge, use those instead. Be creative, that’s the great thing about a stir-fry dish.
O.K. so this is not your usual Biryani, it’s my own twist on the traditional. As you may already know, my twist, usually means adding something sweet, something nutty, and having it ready to serve in 30 minutes or less. This Simple Vegetable Biryani is my answer to Indian food at home, fast, simple and totally delicious!
Simple Vegetable BiryaniEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup shredded or finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas, optional
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped apricots
- 1/2 bunch of fresh spinach
- 2 cups cooked Basmati rice
- 3 Tbsp pine nuts or pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped coriander or mint leaves
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- Mix Spice Mix ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a fry pan over medium-high heat. add onion, cauliflower and carrots. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add in garlic, Spice Mix and water, cook for one minute.
- Add apricots, spinach, cooked basmati rice and pine nuts, stir, cover and simmer until heated through; about 2-3 minutes.
- Fluff and serve topped with chopped herbs.