Occasionally, once in a blue moon, a muffin comes along that changes your life. This is one of those times.
You guys… these muffins!
Bran muffin recipes are a staple for any good muffin baker. I have a delicious traditional recipe with raisins that I’ll share later this year, in the meantime, how about a new twist? With the addition of some banana, the crunch of pecans and a drizzle of honey, these are my new favourite muffin. I know, I know, I say that every time!
Don’t tell anyone… I’m not a big fan of nuts in baking. I think it’s a texture thing; mixing the soft tender cake with the hard crunch of a nut, not so sure I like that. Crazy right? Because of this irrational nut fear, I don’t usually allow nuts to make their way into my precious batter. I use any kind of dried fruit, grated veggies, chocolate chips and spices… but I say no nuts… until now?
Pecans, pecans and more pecans, that’s right, I tossed almost a cup of them into my batter. I threw caution to the wind, and what were the results? Total yumminess! I must admit my muffin life may be changed forever, for the good.
- 1-1/2 cups all-bran cereal, divided
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup mashed ripe banana (2 medium)
- ¾ cup + ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Prepare 12 muffin tins with paper liners or grease with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl pour boiling water over ½ cup bran cereal. Mix in oil and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl mix egg, sugar, buttermilk, mashed banana and remaining bran cereal. Add moist bran mixture. Stir in flour mixture. Stir in ¾ cup nuts until fully incorporated.
- Fill muffin cups to the top and sprinkle with remaining nuts. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and drizzle tops with honey. Allow to cool.