When you need a quick low-calorie breakfast on the run
Work. Kids. Work. Life is busy.
When I have to rush off in the morning, I like to have a stash of muffins already frozen that I can grab and run out the door. These little gems do the trick, not only are they delicious… check. Nutritious… check. They are only 168 calories each… bonus!
I always fall back on my go-too breakfast flavour combo – banana and almond butter. Love, love, love it! It’s totally a winner in this Double Almond Breakfast Smoothie, so going back to it for a super healthy grab-and-go muffin was a natural!
Now here’s the pay off… only 168 calories! NEWS FLASH… I’m going to try an include a nutrition box on all my recipes going forward. Several of my readers have made this request, so I’m happy to finally be adding that feature. I won’t bother on dessert and cake recipes, let’s forget about calories for a special treat.
Great muffins. Low calories. Enjoy!
- 1-1/4 cup flour
- ¾ cup oats
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup almond butter (you can use any nut butter: cashew, peanut, hazelnut)
- 2 over-ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Prepare muffin tin by spraying with non-stick spray or placing liners.
- In a bowl mix flour, oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add almond butter and egg; mix until combined.
- Mix in sugar, vanilla and milk until blended.
- Add dry ingredients – batter will be thin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. They freeze well, just wrap individually so you can grab-and-go.