Have you tried blood oranges yet? Until this spring, I had never tasted a blood orange… maybe it’s the name… no it’s definitely the name. Let’s call it a “ruby” orange instead, sounds so much more appealing and down right tasty!
So what’s the difference? Due to its pigments, the blood orange contain greater amounts of antioxidants than other oranges. They have a unique flavor profile, with a distinctly different raspberry-like addition to the usual citrus notes. The difference is subtle, but you notice it, in a good way.
This salad is packed with nutritional power – aside from the awesome antioxidants in the blood orange segments, we’ve amped up the protein with glorious quinoa. This salad is really a ‘slaw’ with the tart crunch of shaved radicchio and a hint of licorice with the fennel. Topped off with pumpkin seed and you’ve got me sold… I think I could eat this for lunch all week!
If I still have not been able to sell you on blood orange (why not??? so yummy!!!) I would try nectarines or plums. Perfect at this time of year and would add a bit more sweetness to the mix of flavors – I’m never opposed to that.
Hey, on a totally different subject… we’re considering a total change to our website. The intention of eatineatout.ca was to give our readers new recipes each week between the issues of the magazine. We have awesome contests, access to past magazine issues, tips and added value articles. Have you been to our site before? What do you think?
This is totally informal, so feel free to reply to the questions in the comments section below. As always, we love and appreciate your feedback; it helps us to create a better site for EIEO Insiders:
1. Is there anything we can change or improve regarding the way the site technically functions that would make it easier or more enjoyable to use? Any specific requests?
2. Are there features on other websites that you frequent that you would like to see implemented on EIEO?
3. From a content perspective, what types of recipes and posts would you like to see more of? Less of?
4. If you have any additional feedback or suggestions, feel free to share them below!
O.K. back to the recipe, did I mention it’s super easy and totally yummy? Enjoy!
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked to package directions
- 1 head radicchio, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- ¾ cup feta, crumbled
- 2-3 blood oranges
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup blood orange juice (2-3 oranges)
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Supreme the oranges: using a sharp knife, slice off top and bottom. Slice all the peel and pith from the fruit. Slice along the membrane of the orange to remove each section. Set aside.
- Whisk together dressing, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine radicchio, fennel, onion, feta, pumpkin seeds and parsley. Gently mix in quinoa. Lastly add orange slices.
- Remove to serving plates and drizzle with dressing.