Don’t call for take-out, make this Sweet & Sour Chicken at home in your slow cooker!
It’s January and here in Toronto the cold weather has finally kicked in. That means it’s time to snuggle up and enjoy some warm, hearty comfort food. You may want to give in to that little voice in your head telling you to pick up the phone and order some quick take-out. It’s so easy, and it comes right to your door… use some will power… making it at home can be super-simple, with a little help from your slow cooker.
I’ve been testing lots of yummy new recipes using this handy appliance that I plan on sharing with you guys over the next few months. The perfect place to start off is with my take on everyone’s favourite Chinese take-out: Sweet & Sour Chicken.
This is one of those really simple one-pot recipes that takes just 10-minutes to chop and toss in the pot. Venture out into the wintery temps, go to work or school and look forward to coming home to a delicious meal that’s ready to serve. Could it get any easier?
I used chicken thighs this time in this recipe, but pork, turkey or chicken breasts all work just as well. Traditionally this dish is made with green peppers and onions, but let’s face it, you can mix almost any veggies with pineapple and I’m a huge fan. Enjoy.
- 1-1/2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, turkey breast or pork loin chops, cut into ½” cubes
- 1 – 14 oz (398ml) can pineapple chunks, including juice
- 1 - 14 oz (398ml) can tomato sauce
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded, cubed
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ginger, chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 -3 green onions, sliced
- Combine all ingredients in a 5-L slow cooker. Cover and cook on slow setting for 8 hours. When cooked, season with salt, to taste. Serve over rice with sliced green onions as garnish.