Why go out for those Mc nuggets? These moist turkey morsels coated with pretzels served with delicious dipping sauce, make it easy to stay home!
It’s Family Day today in BC and next Monday in the rest of Canada. What a great idea… family day… a day during the bleak month of February to put work aside and have some winter fun.
After having fun outside skiing or skating, come back inside and join the kids in one of their favourite meals. No don’t order take-out, it’s easy to make a great meal that kids and parents will love, right at home.
This recipe was first published in EatInEatOut Magazine’s Fall 2013 issue and continues to be a big hit.
What do the kids always want? Pizza, chili and nuggets… but mom & dad are tired of the same old thing. Here’s a recipe using healthy, lean turkey that brings new sizzle to a go-to family pleaser. These Turkey Pretzel Nuggets can be made from scratch by processing turkey breast, or you can buy ground turkey at the market and save a ton of time. Both taste great and work well in this recipe.
There is super yumminess in the pretzel coating, which is awesome, but the dipping sauce is king. Not only is it great to dip, I have also used it as a spread on sandwiches or as a sauce for fish. Sooo good.
- 1 lb turkey breast, ground in a food processor
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup mustard (Dijon or yellow)
- 3 cups pretzels
- ½ cup Greek low fat yogurt
- ¼ cup honey mustard
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped dill or (1/2 tsp dried dill)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. In a food processor, pulse turkey (rough chop NOT purée), paprika, garlic, salt and pepper into roughly ground mixture. Form into 2 “ nuggets.
- Place flour in a wide shallow bowl. In another wide shallow bowl, lightly beat the eggs with 1 Tbsp of mustard.
- In the food processor, process the pretzels (or roll between two pieces of waxed paper with a rolling pin) until a coarse flour forms, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a third wide shallow bowl.
- Coat nuggets first in flour, then in egg mixture and then in
- pretzels. If you want them really crunchy, repeat egg and pretzels a second time.
- Place nuggets on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Back in oven for 20 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce.