Celebrate Meatless Monday with this delicious 20-minute meal that actually has no rice!
Have you guys been trying to go Meatless on Mondays? It’s a great way to find new ways to use veggies and add alternatives to meat proteins to your meal plan.
As you may have gathered from past posts, I’ve been experimenting with using cauliflower in unique and tasty ways. Healthy Cauliflower Bean Salad, Creamy Mashed Cauliflower and Roasted Cauliflower Soup. Who knew if you grated raw cauliflower it became sweet, ‘ricey’ and ready to eat in just a few minutes?
This is delicious Cauliflower Pineapple Fried Rice… actually there is no rice. You know it’s a simple simple recipe when chopping all the ingredients is as complicated as it gets. The awesome part is the whole meal can be ready in 20 minutes… ta dah! A totally delish main or side dish that everyone will love. I don’t think they’ll even guess it isn’t rice… so don’t tell them!
I grated the cauliflower with a box grater, but you could give it a quick pulse in your food processor to cut down the prep time even more. I love the added crunch of the cashews in this Cauliflower Pineapple Fried Rice, they are a real ‘meaty’ nut. If cashews are not your thing however, try walnuts or hazelnuts. Don’t like nuts at all? How about trying chickpeas for added fibre, protein and texture..
I’ve made this dish several more times after taking these photos, and I really like a version where I added 1/2 cup peas (frozen peas, thawed and cooked in microwave for 2 minutes). It added a great texture and splash of fresh colour.
- ½ large head of cauliflower, grated (5 cups)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup cashews, chopped roughly
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 small lime, halved
- 2 tsp sriracha sauce (optional)
- fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Cauliflower can be grated with a box grater or pulsed briefly in a food processor to achieve 5 cups of cauliflower ‘rice’.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tsp oil over med-high heat. Pour in eggs and cook, stirring, until eggs are scrambled and lightly set. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Add 1 Tbsp of oil to pan and add pineapple and bell pepper. Cook stirring, until pineapple is caramelized on the edges, about 3-5 minutes. Add green onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for about 30 seconds and then transfer to the bowl with the eggs.
- Add the remaining 2 tsp of oil to the pan. Add cashews and cook, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Add cauliflower to pan and cook, stirring, until cauliflower is soft, about 2 minutes.
- Pour contents of bowl into pan and stir to warm through. Add soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste, juice of one lime and sriracha (if using). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to plates and garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro.