The hot August temps just cry out for watermelon. At 91% water by weight, the watermelon is nutritious and truly refreshing. Plus… seedless watermelon… best invention ever!
Kids will love these ice-pops. You can make two versions – either with the yogurt and watermelon, or watermelon alone. Both are supper yummy and refreshing!
See the entire Market Fresh feature in our Summer 2013 issue – JUST CLICK!
|Watermelon Yogurt Ice-Pops|
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1-1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Ice-pop molds
- Simple Syrup:
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, just until boiling and sugar is completely dissolved. Cool for at least 30 minutes.
- WATERMELON PURÉE
- Purée watermelon in blender. Strain mixture through a fine mesh. Add 1/3 cup simple syrup. Makes about 1-1/2 cups of smooth watermelon purée.
- YOGURT: Blend yogurt, honey and 1/2 cup simple syrup until smooth.
- Assemble: Fill molds 1/3 full with yogurt mixture. Freeze for
- minutes. Add watermelon mixture to 2/3 full. Fill to top with
- remaining yougurt mixture (You can leave in layers or swirl a bit with a stick). Freeze for 45 minutes. Insert wooden popsicle sticks and continue to freeze until solid, 3-4 hours or up to 2 weeks.
- Makes about 8-10 ice-pops depending on the size of molds.
- TIP: You can just fill some of the molds completely with watermelon purée – delicious and simple!