The Meal Maker: Fast and flavourful Beef Curry the whole family will love!
Happy March break! I hope everyone is enjoying the week off with the family. Right about now, if you’re not on a sunny beach in a far away land, you may be looking for a dinner recipe that’s simple, fast, and the kids will love. Problem solved! We’re using that trusted go-to lifesaver, ground beef. Everyone has a package in their fridge… I know you do. Any kind of ground beef – medium, lean or extra-lean – will all work perfectly in this simple 30-Minute Beef and Sweet Potato Curry.
You must know by now, I usually don’t cook weeknight recipes that take longer than 30 minutes to to make. That’s just the way it is, who has the time or energy? Curry is the perfect solution – beef, chicken, vegetarian, mild or spicy, a curry can come together quickly and is seriously delicious!
Usually a traditional ground beef curry is made with potatoes, but let’s mix it up. Add some awesome antioxidants, plus great colour, by swapping in sweet potatoes (patting myself on the back right now). The fire roasted tomatoes were a last minute decision and so totally yummy (patting … again). I always have a few cans of those puppies in the pantry at all time, you never know when you may need to whip up a batch of delicious curry… right?
This recipe makes lots of sauce, so be generous when serving it over steamy jasmine or basmati rice. Fill out your plate with a side salad of simple chopped tomatoes tossed with lemon juice, sliced green onions, cayenne pepper and lightly toasted sesame seeds. I sprinkled torn cilantro on the top. Enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 pound (500 g) Lean Ground Beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1-1/2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced to ½” cubes
- 1 can (398 mL) stewed tomatoes with juice ( I used fire-roasted)
- 1 (400 mL) can unsweetened coconut milk
- ⅔ cup frozen peas, thawed
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat oil and add ground beef. Cook, stirring to break up lumps, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, curry, garam masala and cayenne pepper (if using). Continue to cook, stirring, until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, tomatoes in juice and coconut milk. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add peas and cook just to heat through. Serve over rice with chopped fresh cilantro and naan.
This post is sponsored by Canadian Beef. They have tons of great beef recipes, cooking lessons and videos over at their websites: beefinfo.org and makeitbeef.ca.
Got a beefy question while you’re out and about? Canada Beef’s got an app for that! So now whether you’re at the meat counter or on the couch, The Roundup app has all you need to know about buying and cooking beef right from your smartphone or iPad. Here’s some more info or just search The Roundup to download this free app.