Warm appetizers start the party off right. Baked Mushroom Topped Brie nails it!
This great recipe is from our friends at Mushrooms Canada. Prepare and chill the mushroom topping to have on hand for spur of the moment entertaining. Baking and serving on oven-proof platter keeps the cheese warm while eating.
- ½ lb fresh sliced Mushrooms (white or crimini)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onions
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced
- 1 ½ tsp Each dried thyme, rosemary and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 (200g) wheel cold Brie cheese
- 1 2 tbsp finely minced fresh parsley or chives (optional)
- Finely chop mushrooms, onions, walnuts and garlic, thyme, rosemary and pepper in food processor.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir mushroom mixture for 5-7 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated. Stir in vinegar and cook 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature; cover and chill.
- At serving time slice the wheel of Brie in half horizontally and place cut side up on oven -proof serving plate or baking pan. Spoon the topping evenly on cut surfaces of Brie. Bake in 350ºF/180ºC oven for about 8-10 minutes or until cheese is beginning to melt. Sprinkle parsley or chives on top to garnish if desired. Serve with thinly sliced whole wheat baguette or plain crackers. Makes 12 servings
- Tip: For smaller groups, bake and top one half of the cheese at a time; wrap the other half securely in plastic wrap and refrigerate.