MY YEAR-LONG QUEST CONTINUES AS WE TRY TO FIND THE PERFECT NO-FAIL CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
When I started my quest for the ultimate go-to chocolate cake, I began last month with a Simple Deluxe Cake Mix. I asked all of you the get back to me with your recommendations and a mayonnaise cake was a favourite of many of you. It’s a classic recipe that I’ve heard mentioned many times in my chocolate cake travels. In order to try the ultimate mayo cake, I went to the source… Hellmann’s… for a recipe that’s been tested over the years by thousands, and dressed up with caramel and chocolate by me!
To recap the CAKE QUEST, I’m using a rating scale from 1-10 with the following criteria:
2. Texture. Moist yet fluffy. Not too moist, this is not a mousse cake or flour-less cake.
3. Flavour. Rich and natural dark chocolate.
4. Fool-proof. It always turns out perfectly. A must if time is tight.
5. Height. I love a lofty cake.
Layer perfection. Sky-high even with 9″ pans.
O.K., so I added some frosting that was over-the-top; Caramel Frosting with Chocolate Ganache and flaked salt. Come on…
1. Simple. 10 this was really simple only 9 ingredients!
2. Texture. 9 it was moist and really fluffy. Texture is quite even, no air pockets.
3. Flavour. 9 excellent rich chocolate flavour.
4. Fool-proof. 9 simple method, easy to follow, totally fool-proof.
5. Height. 9 these layers were really height, just as high as a cake mix. The difference is this is a larger recipe in 9″ pans instead of 8″
This was a really great cake. Perfect texture and really rich chocolate taste. I would totally recommend this as my go-to cake. However, it’s too early in the quest to commit so it continues next month…
Do you have a go-to chocolate cake recipe that you would like to share? I’d love to hear from you!
Chocolate Mayonnaise CakeEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- • 2 cups all-purpose flour
- • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- • 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
- • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- • 3 eggs
- • 1-2/3 cups sugar
- • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- • 1 cup Hellmann's® Mayonnaise
- • 1-1/3 cups water
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup + ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans*; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in Hellmann's® Mayonnaise at low speed until blended. Alternately beat in flour mixture with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centres comes out clean. On wire racks, cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in Brown sugar, ½ cup evaporated milk and salt. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Remove and cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl add powdered sugar and vanilla. Add cooled caramel and beat with mixer until smooth. It will be stiff, so add evaporated milk by Tbsp until you reach a good spreading consistency.
- NOTE: this is a stiff icing. If as you work it becomes too stiff, just beat in more evaporated milk and continue.
Chocolate Ganache – ½ cup dark chocolate chips, 3-5 Tbsp evaporated milk. Microwave on high for 30 second intervals until smooth.
I have been making this cake for over 50 years. To make it better use left over coffee in place of water. Also you are able to use the same recipe except do not add the cocoa and you will have a white mayonnaise cake. Enjoy, yum yummy!