MY YEAR-LONG QUEST CONTINUES AS WE TRY TO FIND THE PERFECT NO-FAIL CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
When I started my quest for the ultimate go-to chocolate cake, I began last month with a Simple Deluxe Cake Mix. I asked all of you the get back to me with your recommendations and a mayonnaise cake was a favourite of many of you. It’s a classic recipe that I’ve heard mentioned many times in my chocolate cake travels. In order to try the ultimate mayo cake, I went to the source… Hellmann’s… for a recipe that’s been tested over the years by thousands, and dressed up with caramel and chocolate by me!
2. Texture. Moist yet fluffy. Not too moist, this is not a mousse cake or flour-less cake.
3. Flavour. Rich and natural dark chocolate.
4. Fool-proof. It always turns out perfectly. A must if time is tight.
5. Height. I love a lofty cake.
1. Simple. 10 this was really simple only 9 ingredients!
2. Texture. 9 it was moist and really fluffy. Texture is quite even, no air pockets.
3. Flavour. 9 excellent rich chocolate flavour.
4. Fool-proof. 9 simple method, easy to follow, totally fool-proof.
5. Height. 9 these layers were really height, just as high as a cake mix. The difference is this is a larger recipe in 9″ pans instead of 8″
This was a really great cake. Perfect texture and really rich chocolate taste. I would totally recommend this as my go-to cake. However, it’s too early in the quest to commit so it continues next month…
Do you have a go-to chocolate cake recipe that you would like to share? I’d love to hear from you!
Chocolate Mayonnaise CakeEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- • 2 cups all-purpose flour
- • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- • 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
- • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- • 3 eggs
- • 1-2/3 cups sugar
- • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- • 1 cup Hellmann's® Mayonnaise
- • 1-1/3 cups water
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup + ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans*; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in Hellmann's® Mayonnaise at low speed until blended. Alternately beat in flour mixture with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centres comes out clean. On wire racks, cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in Brown sugar, ½ cup evaporated milk and salt. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Remove and cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl add powdered sugar and vanilla. Add cooled caramel and beat with mixer until smooth. It will be stiff, so add evaporated milk by Tbsp until you reach a good spreading consistency.
- NOTE: this is a stiff icing. If as you work it becomes too stiff, just beat in more evaporated milk and continue.
Chocolate Ganache – ½ cup dark chocolate chips, 3-5 Tbsp evaporated milk. Microwave on high for 30 second intervals until smooth.