Warm soup is the perfect introduction to any special holiday meal
As you begin to plan your Thanksgiving dinner this year, why not think about starting it off with something delicious, but not too heavy… there’s a long way to go!
What’s a better start to a holiday meal than soup? Everyone loves it, and why not, it’s warm, tasty and this Creamy Asparagus Soup is also light. It has no cream, just great flavour from veggies and a slash of sherry… let’s get started!
The rich creamy texture of this soup comes from the addition of one little potato, no need for cream (although I added a swirl for decoration in the photo… it looked so pretty…). Once cooked you give everything a turn in the blender, and you’re left with a really smooth and thick soup that totally tastes like a decadent cream soup.
Did I mention this soup is really simple to make? It can be prepared in 20-minutes… that’s right, I said 20 minutes! You can even make it a few days in advance and reheat quickly just before sitting down on the big day… easy, peasy.
I have not written about the dreaded “GERD” lately… thanks for asking… my acid reflux is a bit better. I’m pleased to report that this soup is gerd-friendly. Yeh! While it is mild for your tummy, that doesn’t mean it lacks flavour. The leeks, asparagus and sherry give it a smooth richness that I know you’re going to love.
We all have so many things to be thankful for, the list is too long for this post. However, I do think it’s a great time to pause for a moment and think about all the awesome family and friends we’re lucky to be sharing a meal with. I also want to thank you guys for reading my posts and visiting my magazine and blog, you’re the best! Enjoy the soup and thanks for sharing…
Creamy (no cream) Asparagus SoupEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 leeks, white only, finely sliced
- 20-24 stalks of asparagus, diced
- 1 Yukon potato, peeled and diced
- 946 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup sherry or white wine
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- In a large pot over medium high heat melt butter and cook leeks until softened.
- Add stock, sherry, potato and asparagus. Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and puree in blender until completely smooth. Season again to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with swirl of cream (optional) and a Tbsp of grated Parmesan on each bowl.