Sometimes things just have to be simple.
When life gets really busy, sometimes you need a simple and nutritious meal that is hearty, tasty and most of all uses ingredients you already have in the pantry. That’s where this 20 Minute Bean, Tomato and Spinach Soup comes in.
It’s 7:00 p.m., I need dinner fast. We’ve all been there. You desperately go to the pantry and look inside thinking… “What can I make with this stuff”? Beans, check. Canned tomatoes, check. Broth, check. What do you know, you can have homemade soup on the table in 20 minutes!!!
I started with that can of mixed beans, which I love. It’s a great combination of red kidney, chick pea and white kidney beans. Make sure you drain, then give them a good rinse to get rid of some of the sodium.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 box (946 mL) broth (vegetable, chicken or beef)
- 1 19 oz/540 mL can of mixed beans (red kidney, chick pea, white kidney), rinsed and drained
- 1 540 mL can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp EACH dried basil and parsley
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 2-3 cups fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and carrot and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring.
- Add broth, beans, tomatoes with juices, herbs, salt and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes uncovered. Stir in spinach and heat through for 2 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with a bit of Parmesan cheese (optional).