It’s easy to travel around the world… on a weeknight!
Indian food is filled with the rich, savoury and healthy spices that we need to add to our everyday meals. However, during the week when we’re tired and rushed, it can be hard to find the inspiration to cook a meal. Even though our pantries are crammed full, our minds still come up a blank… I’ve been there. However, try to resist that urge to order take-out, instead give this Easy Butter Chicken with a Twist a try. It’s a taste of the exotic, right at home in just 30 minutes!
Just because I’m me, I can’t resist adding that EIEO twist to classic recipes. There is nothing wrong with classic butter chicken, it’s totally delicious, but with a few more touches it becomes fabulous! Having said that, if fabulous is too much for you, simply leave out the red peppers, dates and pistachio nuts.
This is a great recipe to try if you have never made or maybe even tasted Indian food before. It’s not too spicy, but really flavourful. Enjoy!
Easy Butter Chicken with a TwistEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 2 lbs. chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 6 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, optional if you don't like heat
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup 10% cream
- ½ cup dated, pitted, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup pistachio nuts, chopped (optional)
- chopped cilantro or parsley
- Marinate chicken breast in a small bowl with chili powder, salt, pepper and turmeric. Let sit for 10 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, brown chicken in 2 Tbsp butter, remove and set aside.
- Melt another 2 Tbsp butter, add onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, garam masala, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, salt and pepper and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Add water, cream and dates, bringing back to a simmer. Return the chicken and continue to simmer, covered, for another 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the last 2 tbsp of butter and additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with pistachio nuts and cilantro on top of basmati rice.