Long weekends in the summer call for something sweet and tangy
Happy Holiday Monday! For all my U.S. friends, it’s Victoria Day weekend here in Canada. The celebration of Queen Victoria’s birthday means we have the day off! That’s usually the time to head up to the cottage or chill out on the deck with a cool beverage.
For those that don’t have, or want to BBQ today, how about a light and fun meal that screams summer! These Fresh and Spicy Shrimp Tacos are from our current Spring issue of EatInEatOut™ magazine. Tangy cabbage slaw and marinated shrimps with a spicy sriracha creme, I can’t even tell you how delicious these babies are… so you just have to try them for yourselves!
I love the taste of fresh lime in the summer, really perks up any dish, but especially fish and shellfish. I keep a big bowl of them in the fridge, you never now when you may need to make a cocktail, dessert or main dish with the help of my buddy ‘lime’ as the star.
If you’re looking to lay back in the lounge chair for the first time this year, how about a great read? Check out the Spring issue of EatInEatOut™ magazine it’s mobile and tablet friendly, so take it outside with you!
It’s just 3 weeks until the new Summer Issue comes online. It’s going to be a great one, filled with recipes for eating outside, a sweet new shop in Ottawa, a very special culinary tour in Hallifax and some great new blogger profiles. Don’t miss it. If you’re not subscribed, join now!
Fresh and Spicy Shrimp TacosEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 6 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- zest of one lime
- 1 Tbsp srircaha hot sauce
- 1 lb 454g raw shrimp, defrosted, peeled and deveined (71-90 count)
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tsp sriracha hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- zest of 1/2 lime
- 1 cup red cabbage, julienned
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1/2 of a cucumber, sliced
- 8 corn tortillas
- fresh cilantro
- In a zipper bag combine all marinade ingredients along with raw shrimp. Marinate 20-45 minutes, tossing
- While the shrimp is marinating, blend all crema ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Keep covered in refrigerator.
- Make Tangy Slaw by combining all ingredients in a bowl and tossing well to combine.
- When shrimp are finished marinating, heat a large pan over medium heat with 1Tbsp canola oil. Drain shrimp and discard marinade. Cook shrimp until opaque, about 4-6 minutes.Remove to a plate, and chop roughly, if desired.
- To assemble tacos; top each tortilla with sliced cucumber, Tangy Slaw and shrimp. Drizzle with Spicy Crema. Top with torn cilantro leaves and a few more black sesame seeds.
This post was sponsored by the awesome folks at Manitoba Canola Growers. Thanks for supporting the great products that support EIEO.
Your pictures of this recipe are beautiful! So colorful. And the tacos look delicious!
Do you think Chicken would go well with them? I am a little freaked out with shrimp.
Hi Stacee, sure this recipe will work with chicken or pork. My advice is ‘buck-up’ and get to love shrimp! Buy them already peeled and tails removed, they’re delicious!!!
These tacos are rocking my world! I am drooling!!!
Looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.