A crustless pie that’s filled with veggies and cheesy goodness!
Brace yourself, this is a good one. Totally LOVE LOVE LOVE it for so many reasons.
Let’s start with the story of where this recipe came from, my Mom. Since she passed away at Christmas, I thought a cool tribute would be to look back at all her best recipes and update them for today. I also gives me a chance to add my personal twist to an already awesome dish.
This is her ‘Fat Harry’s Cottage Cheese Pie‘. Not quite sure why she called it that – although my Dad’s name is Harry… coincidence? Originally the recipe called for canned mushrooms, canned ham and frozen spinach – remember those squares of spinach ice? Well it’s time for Harry to get a makeover!
I love the idea of a crustless pie – or maybe it’s really a quiche. This one is packed with good-for-you veggies! Fresh spinach, zucchini, bell pepper and green onions, are combined with eggs, producing a supper nutritious dinner or a great next day lunch. After all what’s not to love about fresh cremini mushrooms and two kinds of cheese?
This is the throw-back part of the recipe… who uses cottage cheese anymore? It’s just not hip…cool…whatever… well I’m bringing it back! Cottage cheese is low in fat and adds great texture and flavour.
Bacon and Mushroom Cheese PieEMAIL Recipe Share on Facebook
- 500 g cottage cheese, 2% or low fat, excess liquid pressed out well
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1-1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 zucchini, grated on a box grater (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1-142 g/5 oz. pkg of baby spinach
- 8 strips of bacon, chopped, cooked and drained on paper towel (optional)
- In a bowl stir together cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, eggs, canola oil, dill and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Sauté in a large pan over medium-high heat the butter and red peppers for about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté for 2 more minutes or until softened. Add zucchini and cook for 1 minute. Add baby spinach and stir to combine and allow to wilt for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in bacon (if using) and the egg mixture until combined. Pour into a 10" pie plate and bake at 350ºF for 50-55 minutes until set in the centre.