A favourite cookie perfectly made for sharing!
Over the next few weeks you’re going to see lots of recipes for steaks, burgers, ribs and all the smokey things that Dads love to grill. That’s all well and good, but Dad need a bit of something sweet on Father’s Day as well. How about something that a daughter of any age can share with her favourite guy? Cookies!
Other than the classic chocolate chip, the next best has to be an oatmeal cookie. It can be soft and moist or crisp and chewy, either way it’s a winner!
For me, it was always tough to find the perfect thing to suit my Dad. Cards are the worst. He doesn’t cook, so grilling is definitely out. He doesn’t fish. He doesn’t play golf. He’s not lazy, He’s not any of those ‘Dad’ clichés. He’s just simply the best!
Here’s to all the Dad’s out there, have a great one!
Sweet of the Month is sponsored by the awesome folks at Manitoba Canola Growers. All twelve recipes this year will contain canola oil, with it’s clean neutral flavour and powerful omega-3 fats… yah! Thanks for supporting the great products that support EIEO.
- 2-1/2 cups whole flake oatmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries or chopped tart cherries)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix all ingredients (except chocolate and fruit) until well combined. Stir in chocolate and dried fruit of your choice.
- The mixture will be very crumbly and loose, DON’T WORRY.
- Using your hands, clump together a tablespoon of the mixture, squeezing it tightly, and placing on the baking sheet to form a mound. Press all the chocolate and fruit into the mound. I know, it will seem too crumbly, but trust me they come together in baking.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until set and golden. Repeat with remainder of mixture. Cool completely on a wire rack. (But I love them just warm out of the oven... enjoy!)