Can you make a good thing even better? Here’s a new twist on a popular favourite.
My recipe for Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips is a personal favourite and one of the most popular recipes on The Blog. It’s moist, fool-proof, and so delicious every time. Perfect alone, or paired with fresh fruit in the summertime. However, can I make a good thing even batter?
Usually my idea of a very good thing involves adding chocolate. No big surprise then when I decided to experiment with a dark chocolate version of this already yummy loaf.
I started out just adding chocolate to my original recipe, but just like any decent foodie, I started to play with it a bit. I added new ingredients, new spices and before you know it – voila – a whole new recipe. It turns out this is just what I’ve been dreaming of… it’s dense, moist and full of amazing chocolate flavour. It’s everything a zucchini loaf should be, PLUS it’s double chocolate! Win Win!!
I love this Double Chocolate Zucchini Loaf because it’s not really a cake, more like a bread, so l’m calling it a loaf. Serve it warm, so the chips are gooey, with a big scoop of ice cream and fresh berries. The summer just screams for chocolate, who am I kidding, any season screams out for chocolate! Enjoy.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 oz. dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp instant coffee desolved in 1 Tbsp hot water
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 4” x 8” loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, mayo and vanilla until blended well. Add zucchini.
- In another bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Add to zucchini mixture along with melted chocolate, instant coffee and chocolate chips. Stir until just moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 50 -55 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- When fully cooled, dust with confectioner's sugar and serve with ice cream and berries.