Fall flavours warm up the winter chill
I first made this Ginger Pear Upside Down Cake a few years ago, in the fall, when the local pears were in season. Loved it. Why haven’t I made it again and shared it with you guys? Well this chilly day cries out for the warm-you-up spices of ginger, allspice and cinnamon in this simple, delicious cake…
Brown sugar and warm spices combine beautifully with the pears in this non-traditional upside down cake. I love a cake that comes together in a snap, no fancy stuff. No need for icing or cake decorating technique, the golden caramelized pears do all the work. This cake is really a showstopper on the table, and soooo easy.
I like this cake best served warm with ice cream, but having said that it’s also great cold with whipping cream, whipped with a dash of cinnamon. Enjoy!
Ginger Pear Upside Down Cake
- 3 medium ripe Bosc pears
- 6 Tbsp canola oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1-1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- 4 Tbsp canola oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Prepare a 9-inch round baking pan with cooking spray.
- Peel pears, slice into quarters and core. In a skillet over medium-high heat add canola oil and allow to heat up a bit. Add sugar and ginger and stir to melt sugar. Add in the pears and continue to simmer on medium-low while preparing cake batter, about 8-10 minutes.
- Shift together the dry ingredients. In a large bowl cream oil and sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Add the flour mixture over 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk until smooth.
- Remove pears from stove and arrange them in bottom of prepared baking pan. Pour any sugar and fruit juices over the pears.
- Spoon batter over pears, covering them completely. Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. The edges will be browned. Cool 10 minutes and then turn out on to a serving plate. Serve warm or cold with cinnamon whipped cream.
I absolutely love this recipe! So easy and so elegant. I have already had requests to make it again!