A healthy take on a favourite weeknight comfort food that the kids (and mom) will gobble up!
Well it’s the second day of Fall and there’s a bit of a chill in the evening air. It’s time to start thinking about casseroles, hearty stews, and simple comfort foods that warm you up from the inside out. As a kid I loved to heat up a can of Beef-a-roni, so fast and easy. Today, I make most of my meals from scratch so this homemade version had to be fast, super-tasty and gluten-free… bonus! The base of the recipe is Mom’s Awesome Meat Sauce that I sent you last month. Hopefully you took my advise, made a batch, and now it’s waiting in the freezer to be transformed into this Homemade Gluten-free Beef-a-roni in minutes!
I used gluten-free pasta in this recipe, not because I need to for health reasons, but because I love the taste. There are lots of brands out there, but I like Italpasta, GoGo Quinoa or try Chickapea (made with organic chickpeas and lentils). If you are not following a gluten-free diet, don’t let that stop you from trying this recipe. You can use any pasta and any shape you like; elbow, penné or fusilli, they all work well and taste great.
You can also add vegetables to your Beef-a-roni… go ahead, blow the kid’s minds! Just stir in and heat through a handful of baby spinach or steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Better yet, serve with a big side salad. It’s a fast and healthy, protein-packed meal that the whole family will love. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 227 g/8oz package mushrooms – white, cremini any kind will work
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 - 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 can (398mL/14 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups gluten-free macaroni, cooked to el dente
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Brown beef, mushrooms and onions in a pan over med-high heat. Add all remaining ingredients, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- When cooled, divide into 2 containers and freeze. Will keep well up to 6 months. When ready to use, defrost in refrigerator or microwave.
- Place cooked pasta and Mom’s Pasta Sauce in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir to combine and heat through. Top with grated parmesan cheese.
As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own. Are you following me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest?